Skip to content
- In carrying out California Indian Environmental Alliance’s (CIEA) mission and vision, the following principles will guide all aspects of our work and all the actions of its leadership, staff and representatives:
- CIEA’s constituencies are California Tribes and Tribal members of California Indian Tribal Nations, whether recognized by federal, state, or local governments or non-recognized. CIEA recognizes the right to have one’s heritage respected, so we extend our services to all Tribal members regardless of enrollment status.
- Within our constituencies our work focuses on future generations including those most at risk from toxins: pregnant women, their fetuses and young children. Our strategy integrates watershed and regional approaches and is respectful of the knowledge and lifestyles of Indigenous People.
- CIEA encourages policies and actions respectful of Tribal sovereignty and Tribal self-advocacy. The organization does not speak for California Indian Tribes, rather; we empower each to advocate on their own behalf and seeks to open spaces for Indigenous Peoples of California to advocate on behalf of their own People.
- CIEA dedicates itself to increase the participation and to develop leadership skills of Indigenous youth.
- We believe Water, Air and the Earth are life therefore we seek to secure the abundance and healthfulness of these life-giving elements for future generations. These elements also bless us with food. We recognize that food is medicine and must be healthful.
- CIEA values the knowledge of traditional elders and spiritual leaders, which is inherent in Traditional Indigenous cultures. They root their values in the sacredness of all life and our Mother Earth, the wisdom of our elders and the power of our traditional teachings and spiritual practices.